The Committee for Spatial Information made a commitment through its Programme of Work (2016-2019) to review the SDI Act. This function is assigned to the Subcommittee on Policy and Legislation to carry out and give feedback to the CSI. A one day consultative workshop was organized by the subcommittee on the 26th of February 2019 in Sierra Burgers Park Hotel, Pretoria to gather inputs from the industry on the possible amendments. In attendance were delegates from national, provincial and local governments, private sector and the academia.
Some of the debates include:
- Review definitions to avoid ambiguity and different interpretations of the same content of the Act.
- Consider including the Private sector and explore the concept of Public Private Partnership
- Review the powers and function of the CSI and the Minister to promote efficiencies.
- Change from Committee for Spatial Information to "Council for Geospatial Information".
- Introduce the penalty clause to encourage compliance.
- Establish the provincial SDI forums
- Establishment of the Office of the Chief Geospatial Information Officer.
- Investigate the best location and ways to resource the SDI mandate.
The outcome of the workshop will also be used to draft the South African Geospatial Information Strategy. Further engagements with the industry to solicit stakeholder participation will be done. For further information email: email@example.com